Wednesday, August 26, 2009

humanity and gratitude

Six: Gratitude, humanity and other virtues

These things were taught to us from our parents, schools, and the immense treasure of books and songs that I came in contact through out my growing age and later years.

We have been brought up in a very humble manner, a lot of money was spent on our mental and spiritual development but in case of physical luxuries only the necessary spending was done.

From very childhood when we used to complain for things which others have our parents used to ask her to take a peek in the homes of the gangmans and see the hardships their children face. Hence from very childhood we learnt to concentrate on our privilleges, not our drawbacks. We learnt that hunger is a never ending cycle. Blessed are those who relish whatever is on their plate. Every time I feel a little bored with what is in my plate, that is my life, I feel about those who are deprived from even that. It does not makes me arrogant, it makes me humble, thankful to God. I feel blessed for every thing which I have, and the content from that.

We were taught to always share with others, to help those who are weak in study or other things. Later I gathered one big truth, if we share with others, they may not give us the return personally, or may not be grateful but someone else takes the count and returns. I still remember my college days, I was juggling too many things together, yet I studied as much as I could and I always shared my notes with my close friends, without least hesitation. We all studied with the same notes, I don’t know whether they read mine or not, but I gave it to them any way, but when the results came out I was extremely happy with mine. I secured fourth place among more than 250 students of morning section with a big, non scoring subject like economics. I some how deeply believe that if we help others without any expectation God rewards us, because we don’t even expect her rewards. But she rewards any way.

Truthfulness is another thing which has helped me throughout my life, we have been taught from the very childhood to practice it, even though I was too timid to practice it in my childhood, I used to lie my heads off, but after I grew up, I slowly took the side of truth and stayed with it. But I have a policy, which I don’t regret, I strongly believe that only my well wishers deserve a truth from me. People with the most harmful intention are usually the most prying ones, and if we give out our truths to them, they will use it against us at the first chance, so one should be truthful to those who deserve it. To others they can do whatever they want.

Taking consequences of my own action without cursing myself. This is a habit since childhood. I always practice discipline, and when I break that I don’t complain with the consequences. Instead of that I openly admit that I have made a mistake and am paying the price. Whatever the mistake is. I never shove it down the carpet hoping others will not notice, some one or else will sure drag it out by the least visible portion and then I may have to dive for the carpet. So my policy is if I stumble I will tell it. I am a human being, so its but normal that I will stumble. I am not going to kill myself for that. I will just get up and walk again, but wont hide the truth that I fell down so that others may learn the lesson.

There are many other virtues, which we ourselve have to decide, which are best for us. I pointed out only four of them, which mean a lot to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment